Sooo....today is the day! It's hard to believe after working on this for so many months that I am finally live. I have so many emotions right now: excited, anxious, happy that I finally clicked that scary 'publish' button, a little insecure because I just clicked that scary 'publish' button...I'm a bit all over the map right now. But I am learning that it's okay to feel this way, because new things are always a mix of exciting and scary and then you ultimately just have to take the leap and go for it, and learn as you go... no matter how scared you are because you never know what amazing things could come from it.
So here we are....
First, in order for you to get to know me a little better, I wanted to share some things about myself so you can get a better feel for the person behind the screen. I always love reading these "About Me" lists about other people and it wasn't until I was initially writing this post that I realized how hard these 'About Me' posts are to write! What do I share right out of the gate? What do I not? Eeeeek! So much pressure!
1. My name is Holly Meriwether and I've been asked many times if that is my real name. I've been told it sounds like a character off of Sesame Street, or a Soap Opera (I'd like to think that Sesame Street is probably more my speed).
2. I live in Kansas City with my best friend and husband, Luke. We have three children, Reid (boy, 4.5 years old) and Sloane (girl, 2 years old). Our oldest son, James, passed away almost 9 years ago. This has been tough, to say the least. I very much understand that life can be very hard.
I also understand the other side to this: that each day is a gift and we should really try to live every day to its fullest and be kind and do the things we've always wanted to, because this is the only life that we have. I could write for hours on this, but I'll save that for another day.
3. I love all forms of art and design. Growing up, one could typically find me drawing or painting at any given time. I would let myself get lost in it for hours. Like so many of us, as I get older, I struggle to find enough hours in the day (or month..or year sadly) to do these things, but a goal of mine is to make more time. I've also grown to love photography, fashion, music, floral design, interior design...really, all things 'artsy fartsy' and creative make me happy. What's really cool, is that thru this blog, I can dive into of these things that I love so much again and share them.
4. Speaking of art, I also design/make beaded jewelry using precious stones and metals. I started doing this back in 2002 and have done it off and on ever since. I unfortunately haven't had much time for it in the last couple of years since my kids are still so little, but would love to get back into it because I very much enjoy creating. And I have a lot of super cool stones that have been sitting around for way too long just waiting to be made into some incredible earrings.
5. I like to run. Now, I am not a fast runner by any means, but I run. I try to run about 3 times a week because I feel so much better mentally and physically when I work out. I love the feeling after a good workout when your muscles hurt and you feel like you've gotten your butt kicked (in a good way).
6. I am an introverted extrovert. Or an extroverted introvert. Either one. I love to be social but I also have found as I get older that it is important to have some alone time to just 'be'. I think a good balance is key.
7. My favorite color is yellow because it's bright and happy! Although, if I look thru my closet right now...I'm seeing a lot of black. Black is a great color because I think it always looks dressy. You'll probably hear more about this in other blog posts.
8. I played the violin from 5th grade thru 9th grade. I was alright at first, but as I got older, I stopped practicing. And then I was awful. And then I quit playing all together. This is one of those things that I wish I would have kept up with. My husband and I are big music fans, and I love going to concerts hearing all of these gifted artists that sing and/or play these amazing instruments and I am always in complete awe of their talent.
9. I love naps. I don't get to take them often, but I could probably sleep just about anywhere at any time. The best is when my one of my kids want to snuggle up and take a nap with me. Which also doesn't happen very often (but I always welcome it).
10. I am terrible at directions and cannot remember how to get places. If you tell me to go north or east I wont know where to go. My husband on the other hand, has a photographic memory and is not directionally challenged in the slightest. So, this is good for me. Amongst other things, he is also my compass.
11. I am a total bargain hunter. I have 4 siblings and we grew up in a nice middle class home. With there being 7 of us in the house, my parents were professionals on how to make money stretch and to get the most bang for their buck, so I feel like that trait was instilled in me at a young age. As I get older, there are more things that I splurge on, but getting that bargain is still at the forefront of my brain when I shop.
Alrighty, so now you know some things about me. I would REALLY love to get to know more about you! Please feel free to comment below and share something (or things) about yourself!